Chipped a Tooth In Fargo?
Chipping a tooth can be an alarming experience.
Luckily, chipping a tooth can be relatively painless, but it is important that you don’t ignore it.
If you live in or near Fargo and have chipped a tooth, South University Dental Associates can help you. Regardless of where you live, be sure to contact your dentist right away, otherwise more problems may arise. While you await your dentist appointment, here are a couple things you can do to take care of your mouth and teeth.
- Save the chip if you can. This may not be possible depending on the situation, but if you can save the chip, clean it off and place it in a plastic sandwich bag to bring with you to your dentist.
- Call your dentist. The sooner you can go to the dentist the less likely you are to encounter additional problems with your chipped tooth. If the damage gets worse, it may limit your treatment options.
- Rinse your mouth with warm water. Rinsing with warm water will help clean out your mouth of any debris.
- Use ice. The trauma that caused your chipped tooth may cause pain in your jaw or gums. Use an ice compress to help limit pain and swelling.
- Use dental wax. If your chipped tooth is sharp, you can purchase dental wax from a drug store to protect your mouth from scrapes and cuts.
- Avoid hot or cold foods. If your chip is deep enough it may have exposed a nerve. Consuming hot or cold foods could make the pain worse, so it is best to avoid them until you visit the dentist. If you are experiencing discomfort, when you call your dentist ask about pain management options.
When you visit South University Dental Associates we will walk you through treatment options for your chipped tooth. Option may include polishing, filling, or veneers. If the chip is deep and the nerve is exposed we may need to discuss treatments such as a root canal or extraction, but this is not common.
So, if you or your child chips a tooth, call us at South University Dental Associates and we would be happy to help you with the next steps.